The University of Nottingham has a long history. From it's origins as Nottingham's first civic college in 1881, it's move to University Park in 1921, to gaining Royal Charter and becoming The University of Nottingham in 1948, as the university has grown the Faculty of Engineering has grown with it.
The existing Pope and Coates buildings, on University Park Campus, are named after Professor Joseph Pope and Professor Rex Coates, pictured right.
In 1948, the college was awarded the Royal Charter and became The University of Nottingham, now able to award degrees in its own name. During this period the School of Agriculture was established when the Midland College of Agriculture at Sutton Bonington merged with the University.
Our vision is of a Department which:puts students and academics at the heart of everything we do.works in partnership with Faculties and Schools.